Sunday 4 June 2023

A Cornish adventure

It's been so long since I last wrote anything that I'm not sure I'll be able to find my flow - but I'm certainly going to try. Please bear with me.

Not entirely sure what's slowed my writing down of late. I guess life just gets in the way sometimes So, to escape it all and disappear to Cornwall for a few days this Half Term was just what was needed.

'Magical' has been my word of choice when asked how the trip was. The sun, the sky, the sea. The colours, the smells, the sounds. All magical. I feel very lucky to have gone when I did; to get so lucky with the weather, to beat the worst of the summer crowds, and to fit so much in yet to still feel rested. I'm sure there's a reason I'm compelled to write again.

Although I spend a lot of time solo, especially walking, I'd never truly been away on a solo adventure, so this was a first for me and I'm so glad I did it, and can't wait for the next one.

I think St Ives was a particularly good choice for solo travel. It made a great base for the few days I was away for a number of reasons. It felt safe, there was plenty going on, and it was really well connected.

I've taken to driving quite a bit recently, but this time I was back on the train again. And maybe I thought I'd write then, as I had around 5 and a half hours to do so, but instead I spent my time in both directions admiring the view and just.. being. Stopping. Not something I allow myself to do often enough at all. Train travel also meant I was able to enjoy local beers (and the occasional Aperol Spritz) without having to think about responsibility later. And it meant that I didn't have to think about finding parking or driving along tricky roads. 

Instead, I made the most of local buses; of which there are several, and one of them was even open-top (cue the excitement)..

My journey began on the 08:03 from Paddington, which meant I was in St Ives for lunchtime. Dropped my bags at the Airbnb where I was staying (a 15 minute walk from the station.. 'oh, that's nothing', I thought. But my gosh is St Ives / that part of Cornwall generally HILLY. Sure my hosts were really encouraged by the sweaty mess that arrived on their doorstep..), and made my way back down to the harbour in search of food. 

Was hopeful for a crab sandwich (when in Cornwall), but the Cornish Deli had already sold out, so I settled for a Po Boy and a bottle of oat stout instead which I enjoyed on the slipway taking stock of how far I'd come and where I'd ended up. 

With just an afternoon for exploring, I decided to stick to town, and wandered a little further - around the harbour and up to St Ives Head - before heading back to my room for checking in and a bit of a post-journey rest. 


Thought it would be nice to catch the sunset on my first evening so far West. Always one to want to know where the 'best' sunset spots are, I took to Google, and found a description for a 'short walk' to a viewpoint where I'd be away from the crowds and would be rewarded by a wonderful sunset.. well.. in true Laura-on-an-adventure-style, my success was limited. Indeed, one thing I hadn't really factored in was that the sunset in Cornwall was actually half an hour later than sunsets in London because of how far West I actually was. So that meant that setting out for my walk more than an hour before sunset was maybe a bit keen.


Another thing I've really learned about myself this holiday (although I wonder if I already knew at least a little bit before) is that it's not only because of their roundness that I particularly enjoy a circular walk. A straight walk just.. keeps going. And so do I. 

Well, before I knew it, my little legs were tired, and I wasn't really sure where I was going but I knew for sure that I hadn't come across the viewpoint as described on Google. So, my first sunset was enjoyed from the front seat on the top deck of my first local bus. I was relieved on my return to find that fish and chip shops in St Ives stay open fairly late in May, and very much enjoyed a Cornish sausage and chips with a can of pilsner from the Harbour Fish and Chips on a bench back at the harbour again. I'm nothing if not classy.


The next morning, I was up bright and early and off in search of breakfast in town before another journey on the 17 bus - this time to Penzance and on to Newlyn and Mousehole. 

Probably quite unsurprisingly, my coffee from at Sea of Coffee was a good one, and went particularly well with an egg and mushroom bap which I enjoyed with a view while I waited for the bus at the top of the hill overlooking (you've guessed it).. the harbour! 

A little slower than expected (although according to my local guide, not an unexpected delay at all), I was happy enough with my front top seat again (or should that be top front seat?) pootling along through fields with a view of the sea, and felt like the arrival into Penzance happened in no time at all, really.

An eager Sarah waiting to greet me at the bus station was a wonderful sight! And we were soon stomping along the prom through Newlyn - where we encountered several nests housing gull chicks - and on to Mousehole, a place I've wanted to visit since first reading The Mousehole Cat many moons ago.

Pasties on the beach with our toes in the sand did not disappoint. We wandered a little around the harbour (they do really seem to like those in Cornwall), and up through the streets in search of a pathway that I was assured would lead us to a pretty dramatic viewpoint.

Turns out Sarah is much better at finding viewpoints than me. The path was rather overgrown in early Summer, but bramble scratches and nettle stings along the path were deemed worth it as we emerged and were met with the most incredible views from the clifftop over the sea and down to the crashing waves below.


Probably could have stayed all afternoon, but eventually we tore ourselves away and stopped off at The Old Coastguard for an actual swift half before making our way back along the coast path to Newlyn where we enjoyed delicious pasta, excellent wine, and the most incredible Cornish cheeses with Sarah's parents.


I was back at Penzance bus station and on the number 17 all too soon. This time, no front seat available, so I sat at the back like a cool kid with the teenage boys (not quite literally).. did mean I missed yet another sunset, but it was worth it for a day of beautiful adventure in the most wonderful company.

My penultimate day arrived all too soon, but it was a day truly well spent.

Breakfast this time was from Crafted Coffee; another good coffee place (again, probably unsurprising) and with tasty pastries too, I was set for my open-top bus ride and plans to walk some more of the South West Coast Path.

Began with some trepidation as I was met quite early on in my walk by a drunkard also 'exploring' one of the old mines at Levant. Definitely kept me moving a little quicker to begin with, and after traipsing down a fairly long road from the bus stop, I soon found myself on my first stretch of coast path and headed to Botallack.




Definitely worth a visit, and really the main reason why I was drawn to this particular part of Cornwall in the first place (Poldark fans will understand), I had great fun exploring the ruins at Botallack and was pleased to find that although there were a few other tourists doing the same, it was definitely possible to avoid each other in the expanse.



The small café at Botallack only served tea and cake, and I was in need of lunch by this point, so I was directed on to Geevor Mine where I found a panini and a cup of tea to fuel me for my onward journey. 

Having bought an all-day ticket for the bus (the excitement got the better of me), I decided to cheat a little. So I headed back to the coast path to do another short stretch before coming back into the village of Pendeen where I hopped back on the bus as far as Zennor and my walk continued.

Zennor to St Ives was about 6 miles, so I figured I'd be back in time for tea (and this time, I actually was). The sun having made an appearance at this point, I probably could have covered it quicker if not for the fact that I kept stopping every few metres to admire the view at every twist and turn which just continually changed all the way along. I loved the fact that I'd be by myself for long periods, but would occasionally encounter walkers headed in the other direction; from those committed with overnight bags on their backs, to families walking together and even one woman in her sandals (not quite sure how she managed some of the rockier bits, I must say). There were rocks aplenty, and much of the 'walk' was more of a climb which was great fun. I also enjoyed the appearance of streams from time to time as well as just how vast the landscape was on either side. 







St Ives coming into view as I rounded the final headland was a welcome sight. I treated myself to an Aperol Spritz at the beach bar, and headed straight for the sea for a cool (freezing) paddle. 

My final evening, and it was third time lucky for a sunset. Timed my arrival into St Ives just right, and was able to grab some fish and chips at The Balancing Eel (never have I waited so long for fish and chips, but it was worth it) which I took to a spot on the cliffs up by St Nicholas Chapel away from seagulls and fellow tourists. Nothing like the vastness of the sea and a setting sun to put things into perspective. It was perfect (maybe even more so because my phone had finally given up the ghost, and I was forced to just enjoy the moment for once).

I'd booked my return train to London for the afternoon so that I could cram in a little more holiday on the day of checkout. And first on the agenda was a boat trip to see the seals that I was a little too high up to spot the previous day from the coast path above.

It was just myself and two families aboard the Dolly P, which worked out quite well as they were all keen to sit in the centre of the boat to shelter from the sea spray, while I was more than happy to sit at the back of the boat and get a little bit soggy. Our crew were two lifeboatmen which meant we were in more than capable hands, and one also happened to be a marine mammal medic, so was armed with facts a-plenty about the marine life in and around Cornwall. We were lucky enough to see lots of seabirds on our way round the coast, and plenty of seals sunning themselves on the rocks of Seal Island, so it was a trip worth taking.



Back on dry land, the search for crab began again, and this time I was pleased to find The Slipway serving a crab and Cornish cheese toastie which I took down to the beach and ate keeping a very close eye on the approaching tide and greedy gulls. 

Up to this point, I realised I hadn't actually braved the high-street, so I decided to take a wander along it and in and out of the various gift shops for a spot of souvenir shopping. Final stops were to Moomaid of Zennor for dark chocolate sorbet with a fudge stick, and last but not least, to St Ives Brewery for one more local beer with a slightly different view over the harbour, which I could definitely never tire of.

No comments:

Post a Comment